Monday, August 24, 2015

Once Was Lost, But Now I'm Found

One week. That's all I have left until my adventure begins. Granted I've been extremely fortunate to have had lots of adventures in my life already...but Europe is something I've wanted to conquer since my first visit there in seventh grade.

Never did I ever think I would be lucky enough to get an opportunity like this. Not only am I going to be living in Florence, Italy for the next four months but I get to experience all this with one of my best friends. Last November we were sitting at a restaurant celebrating my birthday when I told her about my plans to make my travel dreams happen. I jokingly said she should come along and instantly we were both like wait - why not? So here we are, two retired Illinois State athletes with the wanderlust bug about to embark on the journey of a lifetime. 

Yes, I could be out in the "real world" trying to find a job, starting to make my way towards my dream job of being a sports broadcaster. I could be making money (barely) instead of spending it. I could be starting the rest of my life in the more typical, tradition way. But if you know me, you know I'm not really one to follow the crowd...

People say there will never be a perfect time and there will always be reasons not to go, but for me...now is honestly the perfect time.

I'm at that point in my life where I'm not a crazy college student (although sometimes I wish I could be forever), but I also am no where near calling myself an adult (I now understand why Peter Pan refused to grow up). This trip for me is a time to do something for myself, because I want to do it. I want the independence, the adventure, the self-reflection and the growth. It's an opportunity to gain an entirely new perspective on the world and on life.

Up until this point my whole life has been (for the most part) planned. I went through the classic education system: preschool, elementary school, middle school, high school. Each day was the same, a bell would ring, classes and subjects would rotate, the day would end. Repeat. I was going to do whatever it took to play basketball in college, hoping a new environment would be different. But when I reached that level I encountered more of the same - people scheduling your every minute sun up to sun down with rules and regulations and guidelines that must be followed.

But now, now I get to be in charge of my next step. No one to tell me what to do or when to do it. No one to tell me what I can or cannot do. No one to answer to or prove anything to or standards I have to meet. Just me and the world (well and Kristin :)) and our own little journey together.

Usually people don't study abroad their last semester of college (hey, my college experience up until this point has been anything but normal so why start now). But I'm so happy I'm doing this as a senior (well...super senior). I've already had a chance to experience good and bad and highs and lows and I really believe I'm a better person because of them. I learned more about myself these past four years of college than my entire life combined. I'm thankful for my past and excited for my future and I'm proud of the person I am today.

Some people set out on a quest like this because they are determined to find themselves - to figure out what they want in life or to discover "who they really are." Some people go away so that they can come back and see the places you've come from with new eyes, a new outlook.

J.R.R Tolkien said it best, "Not all those who wander are lost."

So no, I'm not wandering because I'm lost. I'm wandering because I'm found.

Let the adventure begin! XOXO

1 comment:

  1. Love your writing, so proud of you Katy! Can't wait to follow you on this big adventure! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete