I'm sitting here at the airport about to embark on the journey of a lifetime, and I can't help but think about all the people that don't get to have an experience like this in their lifetime. Instantly I think, how blessed am I?
I know I couldn't have done this three years ago, or two years ago, or maybe even a year ago. Yes, I'm scared right now, terrified even. But I know in my heart that this is going to be a wonderful adventure. Looking back at those years, I'm not sure I could've handled voluntarily traveling to another country, leaving home this way all on my own. At least not for four months.
Going to college 8 hours away had its challenges, but it also had its advantages. Because of that experience, I'm ready to jump - knowing I can fly. Because frankly, I've done this before.
Ok, so I havent taken off across the world before, but when I was 18 years old going from Minnesota to Illinois on my own sort of felt like it.
When you're about to take off on an adventure like this, it seems only fitting to reflect on how you arrived here, at this point in your life. I came to Illinois State four short years ago and did the same thing. For me, it all comes back to the same people, loving me and supporting me all the way.
For me, I owe so much to my incredible family and neighbors (aka my second family). There is no question in my mind that I wouldn't have this opportunity if it wasn't for them. Heck, I wouldn't be half the person I am today if it wasn't for them! I've learned that the best things usually happen outside your comfort zone (even if it takes looking back at those things to really appreciate them). And when they don't? Well, I've got an incredible support system that's there for me no matter what. But I have a feeling this adventure will be one in a million.
So here I am, sitting here in my airplane seat, wondering how in the world I got so lucky.
I have an incredible life, filled with incredible people. These people, are my world.
And now, I need to thank them. For giving me the world.
Literally.
Xoxo
No comments:
Post a Comment