Today I found what is sure to be my favorite spot in all of Florence throughout my time here...the Piazzale Michelangelo. It is where a bronze replica statue of Michelangelo's David stands tall, but the views are what takes your breath away.
I still cannot believe I have a chance in my lifetime to take a trip like this. To get to experience things like this. To get to just plain live like this.
On top of the hill overlooking the entire city, I am in awe that places like this exist. And to think, this is just the beginning of my adventure.
One of my goals throughout this journey is to do one new thing a day. Maybe it's something I haven't done before, or maybe even something that scares me. It's all about getting outside your comfort zone, because that's where growth and amazing things happen. Seems simple, right?
Today on top of the city I talked with an older German gentleman who was using a big video camera (similar to the one I used during my news and journalism studies at ISU) recording the view. Not any people in particular (although there were so many fun wedding pictures I could not help but smile), not an event, just the view. I asked him why he was recording it (I couldn't help myself) and his reply? "Just for fun. Just to have."
I continued to converse with him a bit, picking his brain asking why he was in Florence, talking about Germany (we got to Munich in a few weeks), things of that nature. I was blown away by his genuineness.... and just plain love of life. Turns out he was simply on "holiday" (American talk for vacation) and was exploring Florence on his own.
It is amazing the impact the most simple situation can have on you. He was there by himself, capturing the beauty of Florence and hoping he could hold on to this moment and look back on it in the future.
As I sat on the stairs and admired the view, I wished with all my heart I could bottle it up and keep this moment forever. Not stay in that moment forever, but have a way to return to it someday and feel exactly what I was feeling. Joy. Happiness. Gratitude. Humble. Blessed. And so many other things... The beauty in Florence I was observing from what felt like on top of the world helped me see beauty in life. Those type of memories I want to hold on to forever.
I took pictures...and videos...and finally made a promise to revisit the Piazalle Michelangelo at least once a week throughout my time calling Florence home. Part of me knows this is just an attempt to cling on to the feeling I had today for as long as I can. But the other part of me knows the feeling I experienced today is rare and fleeting, but I owe it to Florence to honor and soak in the beauty and history of this city as often as I can while I have the chance.
And after today, I think I owe it to myself to spend the rest of my life chasing after moments like these. Moments that provide purpose and add meaning to this crazy thing we call life.
Ciao for now!
XOXO
No comments:
Post a Comment