I have explored a decent amount these last 48 hours, checking out the famous Duomo as well as a few other monuments - Palazzo Vecchio, San Lorenzo, and Santa Maria Novella just to name a few. These incredible pieces of the past gave me such perspective on the world (which is something I'm sure you'll read me experiencing quite often throughout my travels). Looking up at the massive yet detailed and intricate buildings make me wonder what life was like around the time these were built. How did people build them? Who walked this same streets I'm lucky enough to wonder right now? It's a crazy, beautiful thing to consider and how fortunate am I to get to experience these thoughts and see these amazing contributions to this wonderful world in real life.
Other than being completely mesmerized by the beauty and history of this place, I also wasted no time with the food (naturally- a girls gotta eat). The first night out Kristin (travel buddy) and I walked to the Piazza della Repubblica (it just so happens to be a short block away) and picked one of about 10 outdoor patio restaurants to have our first Florence meal. I was quick to discover restaurants here hire salespeople to stand outside and lure tourists into their restaurant (it's not hard to convince me I will like your food). So one kind person said we would get complimentary champaign on the house and we were celebrating ...sold. I pulled a basic girl tourist move and ordered classic spaghetti (come on it's Italy) and Kristin ordered pasta with pesto and we said we'd go halfsies so we could try both. This was a pretty sweet deal and let me just confirm (because I know you're all wondering) there is nothing quite like pasta in Italy.
After experiencing my first pasta last night this morning I had orientation and then headed to a cafe for lunch where I encountered a caprese panini. Paninis can be found in just about every snack shop in Florence but the one we stopped in was absolutely delicious it was a cute little corner shop near the Duomo with only a couple tables and the morning sunshine. I feel like it's going to be very tough to beat but I'm challenging myself to try new things every day. Even with that being said, it's a place I think I may return to....
Tonight Kristin and I shared a margarita pizza and pesto gnocchi and the pizza is as good as the pasta here in Italy.
But it wasn't the meal tonight that made my mind spin. It was my first cone of gelato I had this afternoon. And yes, the gelato was scrumpcious, but it wasn't the rich flavor that stuck out to me.
One of my very best friends that traveled Europe this summer told me something she learned from a woman while on her adventure. "Americans...they live to work. But Europeans, we work to live."
Wow.
So far I've been here two days and I've heard more concern and worry and anxiety about money and the cost of things than I have about the excitement of this once in a lifetime opportunity. I've been guilty of it too. Granted, I'm extremely fortunate to have saved enough to be comfortable throughout my time in Europe, but this obsession with the cost of things baffles me. I'm here in Europe for four months with the world at my fingertips and I know I will never have an opportunity like this again. So why not make the most of it?
If the entire experience of Americans when they have a chance to travel to Europe (or any place for that matter) revolves around the concern of finances, you're doing it wrong.
In fact, if money is everything to you, you're just plain living wrong. What's the point in having money if you aren't willing to spend it on experiences and opportunities like this?
One of the biggest pieces of advice many people who studied abroad before me passed down was do not waste time worrying about money....be cautious and smart and you'll figure it out... but now is the time to say yes and make the most of the opportunity you've been given.
So today, a few people were upset today because they paid 10 Euro for gelato. But me, I've never felt richer because I'm in Italy with the world at my fingertips and a full heart determined to find adventure.
Tonight Kristin and I shared a margarita pizza and pesto gnocchi and the pizza is as good as the pasta here in Italy.
But it wasn't the meal tonight that made my mind spin. It was my first cone of gelato I had this afternoon. And yes, the gelato was scrumpcious, but it wasn't the rich flavor that stuck out to me.
One of my very best friends that traveled Europe this summer told me something she learned from a woman while on her adventure. "Americans...they live to work. But Europeans, we work to live."
Wow.
So far I've been here two days and I've heard more concern and worry and anxiety about money and the cost of things than I have about the excitement of this once in a lifetime opportunity. I've been guilty of it too. Granted, I'm extremely fortunate to have saved enough to be comfortable throughout my time in Europe, but this obsession with the cost of things baffles me. I'm here in Europe for four months with the world at my fingertips and I know I will never have an opportunity like this again. So why not make the most of it?
If the entire experience of Americans when they have a chance to travel to Europe (or any place for that matter) revolves around the concern of finances, you're doing it wrong.
In fact, if money is everything to you, you're just plain living wrong. What's the point in having money if you aren't willing to spend it on experiences and opportunities like this?
One of the biggest pieces of advice many people who studied abroad before me passed down was do not waste time worrying about money....be cautious and smart and you'll figure it out... but now is the time to say yes and make the most of the opportunity you've been given.
So today, a few people were upset today because they paid 10 Euro for gelato. But me, I've never felt richer because I'm in Italy with the world at my fingertips and a full heart determined to find adventure.
No comments:
Post a Comment