I really do think one of these years will actually be my last first day of school - eventually it has to happen right?
I giggle because I feel like I've called too many years my "official" last first day of school. High school senior year was considered my last first day of school because college was something totally new and different. Fall 2014, the start of my senior year at ISU, I called that my last first day of school as well. And then this past spring semester at Illinois State, I really did think I experienced my last first day of school. But here I am back to school yet again! (Side note: willing to bet even though I am claiming this one as my last first day of school, it still will not be...)
I knew I wanted to spend an extended period of time in another country around graduation time and after basketball was over for me. My mind was instantly drawn to Europe. Backpacking was an option, but usually people don't do that for longer than 3 months. I wanted a true, head first dive into a culture - immersing myself in the lifestyle, history, and the people. Studying abroad seemed like a great fit to do that...it seemed like the perfect answer.
The one downside I felt coming into it was the actually studying. I have one class (3 credits) left until I officially get my diploma from Illinois State. Here I'm a "super" senior among essentially a bunch of sophomores and juniors (and even though it doesn't seem like a big age difference, sometimes it can seem HUGE). Plus, I really did not like the idea of having classes taking up my travel and exploration time.
First, let me set one thing straight...I've always loved school and had a passion for learning.
There's no doubt I'm going to be a life long learner and I'll most
likely go back to school yet again. I'm willing to also bet someday I teach.
But this trip was supposed to be about not being told what to do and not
having a schedule or having to answer to anyone but myself (and all three of those things usually are thrown out the window when taking classes).
Needless to say, my initial feelings on the educational aspect of my journey was that most of my learning will take place outside the classroom on my own. Going through a school program was just the easiest way to get me there and provide me with lots of travel options and resources. In other words, the "studying" was just my excuse or my means of getting there.
Until now.
Now, I'm here, and orientation was a few days ago. At first I looked around thinking, "Wow. I'm too old for this. I've been to way too many of these. I've heard all of this a bunch of times already." But then the faculty was introduced. Majority of the professors and people working at my University (Lorenzo de Medici) are Italian natives that know the culture better than anyone. They were so passionate about working with the students, and their dedication to making this experience the best it can be was transparent. What an opportunity to learn about Italy and Florence from true Italian resources!
LIGHTBULB! I'm going to be taking classes in Florence, Italy about Italian history, culture, food, and much more. The one class I'm taking related to my future plans, is something I'm willing to be no one else has on their resume. How many people can say they've studied food and wine in Italy? Or sports from a global perspective in a different country?
I'm taking Introduction to Italian, Italy Culture: Food and Wine Pairing, The Palaces of Florence, and Sports in Global TV and Cinema. So not only do I get to learn these things in a completely new environment, but I have the opportunity to experience classes I'd never get to take at home.
At first I was really concerned with the University aspect of my abroad experience. I thought I would be missing out on traveling, especially after seeing a few of my friends just go on extended vacations in Europe, traveling all over. Now, I'm mad at myself for even remotely taking the schooling for granted. It's going to add something unique to my experience not many people can say they've done. Again in my life, I don't know why I tried so hard to do something the "usual" way...and I didn't want this experience to be a normal one. Just like I haven't wanted any aspect of my life to be average.
I've been told time and time again the most valuable asset you'll ever have is your mind and what you put into it. Once you learn and receive education, no one can take that away from you. There's also no one right way to adventure. That's what makes the journey special and personal.
But even after just a week, I'm feeling like my road less traveled is making all the difference (if I may say so myself :)).
No comments:
Post a Comment